Being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, or having a loved one diagnosed, can be an anxiety-fraught situation. One of the best things you can do is be prepared and educated, and a good way to do that is to read books and do research on the topic. Below are some of the top-rated books on Alzheimer’s disease.
- The 36 Hour Day: A Family Guide to Caring for People who Have Alzheimer’s Disease, Related Dementias, and Memory Loss by Nancy Mace and Peter Rabins (5th Edition). This is the definitive guide for those caring for loved ones with Alzheimer’s disease. Discusses the causes of dementia, managing care of those with dementia, preventing dementia, and finding the best living arrangements for those struggling with dementia.
- Learning to Speak Alzheimer’s: A Groundbreaking Approach for Everyone Dealing with the Disease by Joanne Koenig Coste. Offers a practical approach to the emotional well-being of caregivers and patients of Alzheimer’s.
- Alzheimer’s Daughter: A Memoir by Jean Lee. A real life story chronicling the story of a daughter and her parents and their journey with Alzheimer’s disease.
- The Inheritance: A Family on the Front Lines of the Battle Against Alzheimer’s Disease by Niki Kapsambelis. A courageous story about a family who may hold the key to the cure against Alzheimer’s disease.
- The Alzheimer’s Prevention and Treatment Diet by Richard Isaacson and Christopher Ochner. Studies show that proper diet may make a significant difference in slowing the progression of Alzheimer’s and maybe even in preventing it.
- Surviving Alzheimer’s: Practical Tips and Soul-Saving Wisdom for Caregivers by Paula Spencer Scott. Practical tips for how to help a loved one with Alzheimer’s disease without sacrificing yourself.
There are many books and articles out there on this topic, but here is a good starting point if you aren’t sure where to begin. Get the help you need and educate yourself. Having action steps helps the aching. If you find yourself in need of more assistance and feel like it might be time to consider assisted living your friends here at HarborView Senior Assisted Living are always here to help.